Re: unfair stress on non memory allocating apps while swapout (in 2.4)

From: Nick Piggin (s3293115@student.anu.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 01:12:40 EST

> why are programs which do not allocate memory be delayed while one
> program is eating up all memory. This clearly means they are not delayed
in
> the malloc call but simply the kernel will not schedule them while he is
bussy
> to page out processes.

Bernd,
The reason why programs not allocating memory start waiting when the system
starts swapping is because they get some of their working set paged out,
which must be loaded into physical memory when they next use it. By working
set I mean the code and data they will use in their next timeslice.

Nick

PS this is my first post to lkml so please keep that in mind...
PPS ... so, was I right?