Re: [Criticism] On the discussion about C++ modules

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 13:33:50 EST

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > If C++ really is that good for kernel modules, I'd like to
> > see some code that proves it can be done without too much
> > of a performance hit (or without a performance hit at all?).
>
> it can be done in theory :)

I guess I'll have to quote Larry McVoy here ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice
they are not."

> > Sending 500 rants to the kernel list isn't even close to
> > being productive. Sending 1 patch is...
>
> i already made that point. the only proof that it can
> be done is the demonstration of an actual kernel module
> without a grave performance hit.

*nod*

If there is anybody around who seriously believes C++ would
be a good language for kernel modules, consider this a
challange to show us that this is the case.

I'm willing to look at code and/or benchmark numbers showing
that you people are right, but assertions that nobody backs
up with code go into /dev/null pretty quickly...

cheers,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/