Re: Any dual AGP slot motherboards?

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 13:44:40 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.21.0010201044560.5484-100000@catbert.rellim.com>
By author: "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Yo James!
>
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, James Simmons wrote:
>
> > After much searching I couldn't find one. It was one of those mac rumors
> > people spread around. I still like to get more than one AGP going. If I
> > have multiple PCI bus in theory I should be able to have one AGP port on
> > each PCI bus. Right?
>
> AGP is much faster than PCI bus and has nothing to do with the
> PCI bus.

Well, it borrows a *lot* from the PCI bus in its design.

> So the number of multiple PCI buses has nothing to
> do with the number of AGP buses.
>
> The way to get multiple PCI buses is to bridge one PCI bus on
> to another. There are no changes required to the core chipset.
> There is no way (yet) to bridge one AGP bus on another.

This isn't necessarily true. It's quite common to have multiple PCI
busses connected to the *HOST* bus.

AGP isn't a bus, it's a port. You won't be able to bridge them, but
it's perfectly feasible for the chipset to provide more than one AGP
port.

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt