Re: ide-scsi works now "used to be On ide-scsi recorder failure

From: Dax Kelson (dax@gurulabs.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 03:51:30 EST

safemode said once upon a time (Sun, 15 Oct 2000):

> Everything seems to be working great now... i'm using a patch Andre
> Hedrick gave me and everything works like normal again. Thanks again for
> everyone's help. Back to burning cds.

The error you were getting is the error I get on my system when I
incorrectly try to access the SCSI cdrom device instead of of the SCSI
generic.

See:

[root@thud linux]# cdrecord dev=/dev/sr1 -inq
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/sr1'
devname: '/dev/sr1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
[root@thud linux]#

However, when I correctly reference the SCSI generic device, it works:

[root@thud linux]# cdrecord dev=/dev/sg1 -inq
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/sg1'
devname: '/dev/sg1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities : SYNC
Vendor_info : 'YAMAHA '
Identifikation : 'CRW4416S '
Revision : '1.0j'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
[root@thud linux]#

In short, I don't think there was a problem, simply incorrect usage of
cdrecord.

Dax