init= parameter doesn't work

From: Paul Powell (moloch16@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 19:13:33 EST

Hello,

I am attempting to move all of the root files and
folders into a single directory /linux on the root
file system. I then use the kernel parameter
init=/linux/sbin/init to get things rolling but the
kernel panics.

When I boot linux, everything seems to work ok until
the kernel tries to execute init. The root device is
mounted as the root file system successfully and I see
a message stating so. But then I get a kernel panic
which says it couldn't find init and to try using the
init= kernel parameter.

I'm guessing there is something missing from the root
directory that the kernel needs but isn't there. I
tried moving the /dev directory back to the root
directory on the root file system but this didn't help
things.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks.

P.S. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm
creating a bootable CD but have other things on the CD
in addition to linux.