Re: large memory support for x86

From: Timur Tabi (ttabi@interactivesi.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 14:41:00 EST

** Reply to message from "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> on Thu,
12 Oct 2000 15:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

> With ix86 processors in the kernel, you can create multiple segments
> and multiple page-tables.

Does the kernel provide services for this, or will I have to hack up the x86
page tables myself? If there are kernel services, what are they?

> If you have some 'hardware-specific' way
> of mapping in real RAM that is not used by anybody else, you can have
> your own private segment.

But is this part of the established Linux >4GB support? I don't think so.

> Page registers can map in multiple sticks
> of RAM into a single window. The page-fault handler can manipulate
> the page registers for user-mode code. It's being done in PAE.

But how does one go about doing all this?

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com