Re: Updated 2.4 TODO List

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 08:04:22 EST

tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> 3. Security
>
> * Fix module remove race bug (still to be done: TTY, ldisc, I2C,
> video_device - Al Viro) (Rogier Wolff will handle ATM)

Patch for tty and ldisc is in your inbox...

> 8. Fix Exists But Isnt Merged

> * Many network device drivers don't call MOD_INC_USE_COUNT in
> dev->open. (Paul Gortmaker has patches)

This should be rephrased "Many network device drivers call
MOD_INC_USE_COUNT too late in dev->open()".

And it has been proposed (frequently, by me) that the
dev_hold()/dev_put()/unregister_netdevice() logic ensures that netdevice
drivers are _not_ race prone wrt module removal and so no development is
needed here.

Unless someone squeaks I suggest you take the red pen to this one.

> 9. To Do

> * Misc locking problems
> + drivers/pcmcia/ds.c: ds_read & ds_write. SMP locks are
> missing, on UP the sleep_on() use is unsafe.

It is my understanding that hen's teeth easily outnumber SMP PCMCIA
systems. spinlocks in drivers/pcmcia/ and drivers/net/pcmcia/ are
almost nonexistent.

So I propose that this item be removed simply by stating "Linux 2.4 does
not support PCMCIA on multiprocessors". Comments, David?