Re: spurious 8259A interrupt?

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 07:48:29 EST

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Daniel Lange wrote:

> Periodically, I get the following error with the 2.4.0test9 kernel:
>
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

[SNIPPED...]

This will sometimes happen with the 8259A and really should not even
be logged. There is a default handler for all interrupts. If this
handler gets control from an unallocated interrupt, it writes this
message, ACKs the interrupt, then returns.

> Initializing CPU#0

You are using a SMP kernel on a `386 UP machine. That tends to make
these burps show up. It is harmless, though.

> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 3.10 BogoMIPS

This shows something I don't understand. Either the counter wrapped,
a timer is mis-programmed, or the CPU clock speed is about 1.5 MHz.
You should look into this. Older kernels generally show the BogoMIPS
as being about equal to the CPU clock speed +/- 20%. Newer kernels
generally show it being about 2 times the clock speed +/- 20%.

> CPU: 386
> Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
> Checking for popad bug... Buggy.

I have one of these too.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.17 on an i686 machine (801.18 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.