Re: Linux kernel modules development in C++

From: Timur Tabi (ttabi@interactivesi.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 10:21:43 EST

** Reply to message from Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl> on
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:47:07 -0400

> > Yes, it's more important, but I've looked at the assembly code that my
> > C++ compiler generates, and it's very clean. In fact, when you're
> > writing code that by design is OO, then using C++ tends to generate
> > better code, not worse, since the language more closely matches the
> > design.
>
> Your compiler being? I for one wouldn't trust others, C++ is still very
> much in flux in gcc...

Watcom C/C++ 11.0b, which is soon going to be open source. It's not available
for Linux, however.

> The kernel is OO in design, just not written in C++. And as I said before,
> you either redesign Linux from the ground up for C++'s idea of OO, or use
> wrappers and pay the cost in bloat and performance. Neither is acceptable...
> maybe for a specific case, but not for general use.

I'll agree with that.

> Gripe #1 is complete nonsense (not _that_ thread again...), gripe #2 is
> mostly nonsense (sure, Linux could still have the internal interfaces from
> 1.0, but the cost would be prohibitive for an OS that wants high
> performance on machines that are at least an order of magnitude larger than
> they were then).

Oh, I understand why #2 is necessary, that doesn't mean that I don't hear
people complain about it anyway. On a side note, I consider lack of a real
kernel debugger to be evidence for #1. But I don't want to kick that dead
horse again.

> I'd be a bit more careful. It is in large part those "completely
> ridiculous, nobody will ever be able to write decent software that way"
> whims that got Linux to where it stands today.

Very true!

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com