Re: Socket Interface

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 23:30:22 EST

[Eric Chen]
> I have brought up a PC running Linux 6.2.

There is no Linux 6.2. The newest version is a prerelease of 2.4.0.

Unlike other OSes you may be familiar with (e.g. FreeBSD), there is no
de facto standard distribution of kernel and apps -- there are half a
dozen major players and hundreds of minor ones, three quarters of which
are "Red Hat + some nifty add-on or service".

In any case, I suggest you look at a client for the 'finger' protocol,
which is just about as simple a TCP transaction as you can get. Note
that the server is inetd-driven so has no networking code of its own.
I can't think of a simple TCP daemon that *isn't* inetd-driven, though.

If your Linux distribution is Debian-derived:

  $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/finger
  finger: /usr/bin/finger

So the package is called 'finger':

  $ cd /var/tmp; apt-get source finger
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  Need to get 29.2kB of source archives.
  Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bsd-finger 0.16-3 (dsc) [667B]
  Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bsd-finger 0.16-3 (tar) [24.6kB]
  Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bsd-finger 0.16-3 (diff) [3894B]
  Fetched 29.2kB in 3s (9.4kB/s)
  dpkg-source: extracting bsd-finger in bsd-finger-0.16

If your distribution is not Debian-derived, I don't know how to get the
source. Ask your vendor.

Peter