Re: test9-pre5+t9p2-vmpatch VM deadlock during write-intensive workload

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 08:47:07 EST

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Molnar Ingo wrote:
> >
> > i'm still getting VM related lockups during heavy write load, in
> > test9-pre5 + your 2.4.0-t9p2-vmpatch (which i understand as being your
> > last VM related fix-patch, correct?). Here is a histogram of such a
> > lockup:
>
> those VM patches are going away RSN if these issues do not get
> fixed. I'm really disappointed, and suspect that it would be
> easier to go back to the old VM with just page aging added, not
> your new code that seems to be full of deadlocks everywhere.

I've been away on a conference last week, so I haven't
had much chance to take a look at the code after you
integrated it and the test base got increased ;(

One thing I discovered are some UP-only deadlocks and
the page ping-pong thing, which I am fixing right now.

If I had a choice, I'd have chosen /next/ week as the
time to integrate the code ... doing this while I'm
away at a conference was really inconvenient ;)

I'm looking into the email backlog and the bug reports
right now (today, tuesday and wednesday I'm at /another/
conferenc and thursday will be the next opportunity).

It looks like ther are no fundamental issues left, just
a bunch of small thinkos that can be fixed in a (few?)
week(s).

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/