Re: (reiserfs) Re: More on 2.2.18pre2aa2

From: Chris Evans (chris@scary.beasts.org)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 13:25:14 EST

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Now, I see people trying to introduce the concept of elapsed time into
> > that fix, which smells strongly of hack. How will this hack be cobbled
>
> Actually my brain says that elapsed time based scheduling is the right
> thing to do. It certainly works for networks

Interesting, I'll try and run with this. The mention of networks reminds
me that any "max service time" variable is a tunable quantity depending on
current conditions..

.. and sct's block device I/O accounting patches give us the current
average request service time on a per-device basis. Multiply that up a bit
and maybe you have your threshold for moving things to the head of the
queue.

Cheers
Chris