Re: Availability of kdb

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 19:52:49 EST

   Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
   From: <lamont@icopyright.com>

   I guarantee you that IT managers and CTOs do not share your
   enthusiasm for slow, correct coding when faced with their business
   being down, their revenue stream being interrupted and their stock
   options losing value.

What part of "I don't care" did you not understand when Linus said it?

What part of "More Code, more people, more money. Why should I think
they are good things?" did you not understand when Linus said it?

You miss the entire point. Linus is saying "I don't care" about the
standard kernel. From this, you can consider that someone who does
care is more than welcome to provide a service that:

1) Adds the debugger, kernel dump, whatever patch to the kernel
   for a customer.

2) Provides a support contract for that customer, where 24/7 they'll
   work on fixing trouble that customer has.

None of this has any relevance to whether the standard kernel has
this or that debugging facility.

Just becuase it isn't in the standard kernel doesn't mean the whole
world is disallowed from using it.

"IT managers" and "enterprise wide client server, java brown stuff
enabled" sites are going to want a support contract if they do
anything serious with Linux, a fair assumption right? It then goes
almost without saying that those entities providing such support
services would be wise to, as a part of this service, have the site
run kernels with KDB or whatever included. Right? Isn't this the
whole beauty of open source, anybody can just add it in?

I think this whole thread is becoming rediculious. Linus will not put
KDB and other such debugging aides into the standard tree so live with
it already.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com