Re: Fwd: ACPI & I4L irq confilct: bug reporting on kernel 2.4.0-test8-pre4

From: Guido Trentalancia (guido.trentalancia@tin.it)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 18:36:22 EST

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Guido Trentalancia wrote:

> > > there is no need or even sense to add such parameter, as irqs are
> > > assigned by the bios or OS for PCI type cards. The driver is supplied
> > > with the selected irq which is normally assigned during boot by the
> > > systems bios.
> >
> > my bios irq settings are currently set to AUTO.
> > i don't know why 3 resources (ne2k-pci, the winbond isdn module and the
> > acpi) want the same irq 9 whereas there are a lot of free irqs...
> > the manteiner of the ACPI driver sayd his driver is ok for irq
> > sharing.... what about ne2k and winbond isdn ? i don't know how to
> > contact the manteiners of this drivers....
>
> The ne2k-pci driver will share IRQs.
> The 'ne' driver will work for PCI cards, but is intended for ISA cards. It
> will not share the IRQ.
>
> Documentation for the ne2k-pci driver is at
> http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html
>
> > 1) ACPI
> > 2) ISDN (Windbond - HiSax)
> > 3) RealTek PCI NE2000 ethernet
>
> Is the ISDN card a PCI device? If not, it cannot share IRQs.

yes it is

> If it is a PCI device, the driver is broken.

in fact this is the most probrably hypothesis of my problems....
this reply has been also forwarded to the author of the winbond driver
(a guy from the czech republic) and to cornelius (many thanx for your
comments).
to confirm this hypotesis i can just compile the kernel with both
acpi and ethernet but without the isdn driver. if irq sharing is ok
then the problem must be in the file drivers/isdn/w6692.[ch]
thanx a lot to everybody supporting linux and in particular to
those who are helping me in this tedious problem.

--
bye,
Guido Trentalancia