Re: Fwd: ACPI & I4L irq confilct: bug reporting on kernel 2.4.0-test8-pre4

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 16:56:14 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Guido Trentalancia wrote:

> > > after further testing the problem seems to be in IRQ SHARING.
> > > in fact, with acpi disabled, once the hisax has got irq 9 (it is not
> > > possible for card type 36 to change the irq), i can load the ethernet
> > > modules 8390 and ne2k-pci for my ethernet PCI NE2000 card, but the
> > > ne2k-pci driver also set its irq=9, so everytime i try to do:
> > >
> > > ifconfig eth0 up
> > > SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable
> > >
> > > why don't add the irq parameter to the hisax winbond driver and to the
> > > ne2k-pci driver ?

> > there is no need or even sense to add such parameter, as irqs are
> > assigned by the bios or OS for PCI type cards. The driver is supplied
> > with the selected irq which is normally assigned during boot by the
> > systems bios.
> my bios irq settings are currently set to AUTO.
> i don't know why 3 resources (ne2k-pci, the winbond isdn module and the
> acpi) want the same irq 9 whereas there are a lot of free irqs...
> the manteiner of the ACPI driver sayd his driver is ok for irq sharing....
> what about ne2k and winbond isdn ? i don't know how to contact the
> manteiners of this drivers....

The ne2k-pci driver will share IRQs.
The 'ne' driver will work for PCI cards, but is intended for ISA cards. It
will not share the IRQ.

Documentation for the ne2k-pci driver is at
   http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

> 1) ACPI
> 2) ISDN (Windbond - HiSax)
> 3) RealTek PCI NE2000 ethernet

Is the ISDN card a PCI device? If not, it cannot share IRQs.
If it is a PCI device, the driver is broken.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403