Re: 2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@evision-ventures.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 18:09:10 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:
>
> > There is some facility allowing to implement this kind of things
> > in the C++ part of the most recent EGCS version which makes implementing
> > such things "relatively" easy - basiclly there is the provision to dump
> > the parser trees as easy to process ascii text already there.
>
> Fuck C++, by what bloody magic are you going to account for cpp?

Easy - the same way you do for cross compilation. Basically just:

export CC=g++ --some-magic-long-option-i-dont-remember; make

And then the normal compilation is not just generating *.o files, but
files with dumped parser trees as well. Hell It's even documented there!

> > Maybe this is a new argument to facilitate at least correct syntactical
> > processing of the kernel by the C++ flavour of EGCS?
>
> No, it would not. If g++ can do that, gcc also should be able to,

No - becouse we basically write C++ compatible C code but in fact the
compiler is allowed to have much tighter assumptions about the type
system under C++ then it is under C, so it has *MORE* valuable data
at hand...

> especially by the time when we will have preprocessor BS under control in
> sufficient degree. Right now neither gcc nor g++ will see the large part
> of tree.

Basically I will just guess: The next maybe non free version of
source navigator will use the mechanism I have just described above.
So maybe there is already someone at RedHat doing exactly this work
already ;-).