Re: 2.2 / 2.4 ethernet detection order

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 16:40:12 EST

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 09:55:48AM -0400, James Lewis Nance wrote:

> I have a box with 2 ethernet cards. One is a ne2k-pci and one is a
> tulip. Under 2.2.X the ne card is eth0 and the tulip is eth1. Unfortunatly
> if I boot a 2.4.X kernel, the tulip card is assigned eth0 and the ne card
> eth1, which of course breaks all my networking setup scripts.

and Florent Cueto added:

: I got the same problem.
: The consequence was that if my eth0 card (static ip) was "ifupped" before my
: eth1 card (dhcp), it became impossible to ifup my eth1 card (I could no more
: obtain an ip from the dhcp server).

This is a well-known bug.
I described the cause on Mon, 14 Aug 2000, and soon afterwards
priikone@poseidon.pspt.fi sent a corrected (I hope - didnt check)
patch to l-k. (Look for: Pekka Riikonen, Re: devfs / eth micro-problems)

I see that this patch didnt make it into 2.4.0test7.
Perhaps it should be resubmitted.

Andries