2.2 / 2.4 ethernet detection order

From: James Lewis Nance (jlnance@intrex.net)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 08:55:48 EST

Hello All,
    I have a box with 2 ethernet cards. One is a ne2k-pci and one is a
tulip. Under 2.2.X the ne card is eth0 and the tulip is eth1. Unfortunatly
if I boot a 2.4.X kernel, the tulip card is assigned eth0 and the ne card
eth1, which of course breaks all my networking setup scripts. I can get
the 2.4.X kernels to assign 2.2.X identities by using command line args
like (from memory):

    ethers=eth1

but unfortunatly at least one of the cards does not work if I try this.
I "solved" the problem by using kernel modules and an /etc/modules.conf
file that looks like this:

    alias eth0 ne2k-pci
    alias eth1 tulip

but I would really rather not use a modular kernel. I have no idea what I
would do if I had two identical network cards in the computer. Is there
a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Jim