Re: [patch] Updated bfs to use new mark_buffers_dirty interface

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 17:02:27 EST

Rasmus,

I think it is worth it to clarify this even if you already understood it
yourself - other readers of linux-kernel may find it useful (and those who
find it too obvious will forgive me).

The concept of Linux subsystem maintainer doesn't mean that _any_ changes
to his subsystem should go through him/her. For example, I maintain BFS
filesystem but Linux VFS has undergone a huge amount of changes (well, a
rewrite, or even several rewrites) by Al Viro who is always kind enough to
make sure his changes don't break any filesystems. So, when he changes VFS
he simply updates BFS (and all other filesystems) without bothering me
(and all other maintainers) about it. Of course, maintainers ought to
monitor his changes (and they do) and voice their opinions if they believe
he breaks anything (he never does :).

So, this mark_buffer_dirty() change is a good example of the situation
where you should _not_ bother maintainers but produce a big patch and send
to Linus (if 100% confident) or to linux-kernel (if 99% confident).

Regards,
Tigran