Re: stallion.c patch for devfs - fixed version checking

From: Russell Coker (russell@coker.com.au)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 13:19:10 EST

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
>Russell Coker writes:
>> I made the following patch for the stallion non-intelligent driver based on
>> cut/paste from serial.c. I have tested it and it works, the directories
>> /dev/tte and /dev/cue are correctly created when the module is inserted.
>>
>> Could this please be put in to 2.4.0-test8?
>>
>> Please note that this patch is to be applied after the stallion.c file has
>> been moved from the drivers/media/video directory to the drivers/char
>> directory.
>
>So submit a patch that will do this: it will make is easier on
>Linus. And we all know what that means...

True, however I would expect that moving a file is easier than applying a
patch (if he applies a patch then he'll probably want to eyeball it to make
sure it's not obviously wrong - stallion.c would make a reasonable sized
patch).
Anyway I have just been informed that the file has already been moved in the
pre-test8 patch.

>> +#if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE > 0x2032D && defined(CONFIG_DEVFS_FS))
>
>This is overkill. All you need is CONFIG_DEVFS_FS. It makes no sense
>to tie it to kernel versions.

That sounds logical, I have attached a patch that does that change and
changes serial.c (the code I copied from) in the same fashion.

Linus, please merge this in the next test release.

Russell Coker