Re: zero-copy TCP

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 03:34:43 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> **ALL** Netware network drivers support a scatter/gather proramming
> interface, whether the hardware does or not. In NetWare, the drivers
> get passed a fragment list in what's called an ECB (Event Control
> Block). It's the drivers responsiblity to assemble the fragment lists.
> We did it this way to support scatter/gather cards and non-scatter
> gather cards in one interface. Those drivers that do not support
> scatter gather DMA operations copy to a local buffer to assemble the
> packet. [...]

this is exactly what TUX implements and what i mentioned in my first email
that started this thread. Was a complete overhaul of the TCP/IP stack
needed like you claim? Not at all - the Linux TCP/IP code was so generic,
that to my surprise i saw the first zero-copy TCP transfer after only one
day of hacking.

        Ingo