Re: www.crucial.com won't talk to 2.4.0-test7 system

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 12:01:14 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 04:12:04PM +0200, Elmer Joandi wrote:
> > There is another big problem like that...
> > tunnels actually do not work on todays real internet...
> > MTU 1500 is so much a standard that it starts killing tunnels.
> > MTU < 1500 is not a working solution today thanks to (mostly
> > linux based ? ) broken firewalls
>
> It is due to knee-jerk ICMP blocking settings at firewalls/routers.
[snip]

Yes, this is indeed the primary cause. All of the Linux howtos for
firewalling appear to warn against this. Most of the time I've see this
happen it's been ACLs on a Cisco router. Checkpoint makes it harder to
make this mistake by having normally invisable 'ALLOW' rules for such
traffic (and DNS too).