Re: www.crucial.com won't talk to 2.4.0-test7 system

From: Elmer Joandi (elmer@ylenurme.ee)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 10:55:22 EST

Matti Aarnio wrote:

> From personal experience I can say that even cisco router training
> includes example of: "block ALL of ICMP", which of course makes
> TCP PMTU discovery non-functional.

Yeah, there is the general problem with such a stuff:
    if something becomes de facto standard it messes up de jure standard.
   And, if that hurts more people who use de jure than it hurts
  the people who misconfigure, then it is just plain impossible in
practice to use de jure standard and/or change the "de facto" situation.

The real solution is to change "the hurting ratio".

Changing MTU from 1500 to 1498 on several US and US<-> Europe
backbones would create major mess which would be painful enough
to change the situation with small MTU for example.

elmer.