Re: [OT] Re: Press release - here we go again!

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 15:29:18 EST

   Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:47:04 -0700
   From: Stephen Satchell <satch@fluent-access.com>

   5) Even better would be to obtain the services of a PR firm used to
   dealing with high-tech questions -- if you would like a list of potential
   sponsors I can poll the IPG to see who might be likely candidates. Off the
   top of my head, I would recommend Pam Alexander, Hastings & Humbolt, Marty
   Winston, and S&S.

Note that VA Linux and probably all of the various Linux companies out
there already have PR firms on retainer. It might be best to get
someone from one of those corporations to volunteer (and I'm sure I
could probably volunteer VA) to handle actually getting the press
release out there and being the point of contact listed on the press
release.

Of course whoever did this would have to make clear that they were doing
this as a community relations function, and that the press release would
be plugging the Linux community, and not any one specific Linux
company. I think we could probably come up with at least a few companes
that most people would trust to represent the community fairly and not
try to exploit this for their own gain.

The point is that we *do* have people who interface with the press
professionaly, for a living, and we should be able to take advantage of
that kind of resources.

                                        - Ted

P.S. Yes, for those who don't know I *do* work for VA Linux, despite my
mit.edu e-mail address.