Re: Press release - here we go again!

From: Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 12:19:53 EST

Hi Daniel, anyone.

I am not a lawyer and I am not a marketing manager, but I think there
are several things that need fixing. Most of these are differences that
I think stand out when comparing your draft with the KDE press releases
for their KDE2.0 betas (those being the only press releases I've read
for an open source project yet), available at www.kde.org.

1.) First of all, there should be some people named at the end of the
p.r. that interested press people can contact to get an interview or
such. Naturally, this should be some of the core developers.

2.) I'm still not sure whether you can use so many trademarks within the
p.r. without marking them as such and using them incorrectly (e.g. 'Sun
Microsystems' instead of 'Sun', 'Microsoft WindowsCE' (a guess) instead
of 'Windows-CE', etc.)

3.) The language is a bit (and here my own deficit strikes me as I'm
searching for the right word, let's try) 'unprofessional'. With that I
mean that it is not the 'typical' language of press releases. I quote:
<snip>
> * Enterprise Ready! Linux 2.4 includes changes that
> make it even more ready for Enterprise environments.
<snip>
> * Linux also includes Logical Volume Manager, for easy
> administration of disk space; you can also combine
> several hard drives/partitions into one for even more
> space and ease!
<snip>
> * More interface support! Linux is now even better
> supported for the desktop with the advent of support
> for USB, FireWire and AGP.
<snip>
> Linux includes a new architecture, known as Netfilter,
> to act as a firewall (security - choose what gets
> through and what doesn't), and masquerading server
> (multiple machines can share the one connection without
> any fuss or hassle). Netfilter is now much quicker, <etc>
<snip><etc>

One should take time and discuss what _groundbreaking_ new features
Linux 2.4 will have when compared to both 2.2 and the competitors. I'm
thinking of the scalability issues, as well as all the other
'enterprise' enhancements like maximum memory/processors supported. On
the other end of the user scale you might want to proudly present Linux
as the first system to support ATA100. Full USB support comes to mind.

One should single out what Linux 2.4 can do better than the competitors,
but in a respectful (w.r.t. competitors) and indirect way. And one
should take the time and space to go into some application examples to
elaborate on these outstanding features.

Well, look at the KDE people. I think they really got 'it' when it comes
to writing press releases: Identify your strengths and explain them
briefly, but so that my _mum_ says "Wow, Linux 2.4 is great! Where do I
get one of those cute stuffed penguins?" after reading her woman's
journal. (Ok, ok...:-)

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>        http://marc.mutz.com/Encryption-HOWTO/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)