Re: Bug: remounting CD-ROM drives does not lock/unlock drive

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 06:15:06 EST

On Fri, Sep 01 2000, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> Ok, now I think to know what you are meaning: The program locking the door
> should stay active until the CD-ROM should be unlocked, right ?

No, not necessarily. What matters is the open count of the drive. Currently
it will not unlock a tray, that is opened by other programs as well.

> I always though about issuing some single call to lock or unlock the drive
> (e.g. setcd), but I never thought about this. What do I have to do to make
> this possible ? Could you give me some hint on how to allow root to unlock
> it in a clean way ? I wouldn't be very happy to apply special 'CD-ROM
> bootable interim hack' patches to each kernel I build for the project. Is
> there a way to do this general enough so that it can go into the main
> kernel (maybe another config option in /proc/sys/dev/cdrom if root should
> be allowed to unlock under all conditions) ?

I don't think that allowing root to unlock a busy tray is that big a
deal, we have to assume he/she knows what they are doing anyway. But
for now, you can try this patch.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
* SuSE Labs