test7-pre3 on i386 (PIII): init won't run, kernel looping in flush_old_exec

From: John Hayward-Warburton (Programming account) (linux@billabong.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 07:55:31 EST

Hi,

Just tried test7-pre3 (after good run with test6), but the system gets stuck
when launching init. Though init appears in the process table (thank you
Alt-SysRq), the kernel appears to be looping in flush_old_exec (that's where
EIP always is, and the address of init_files appears in two of the
processor's other registers).

We run devfs, though I can't remember for the life of me why. Could this be
causing the problem?

Back to 2.4.0-test6 for now, runs nicely even when a process goes mad eating
memory (trying to allocate 100MB/sec). Appears to lock up for a while, but
recovers in around a minute.

John Hayward-Warburton
linux@billabong.demon.co.uk