Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Michael Rothwell (rothwell@flyingbuttmonkeys.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 08:49:31 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

> Currently you lose your "normal" file attributes (ie. the
> ownership info and permission bits) when you transfer a
> file over http.
>
> Why would this be any different with extended attributes?

It shouldn't. HTTP, etc. will transfer
the default stream only.

> When you _do_ want to have these things transferred, you can
> use a modified tar (or cpio or pax) archive format. Just like
> the "standard tar" stores the normal unix attributes, it should
> store the extended attributes.

Yes.

> And when we're talking about a "multistream file", just give the
> user the whole directory in one .tar file...

Interesting idea -- an option on pax to
unravel a streamed file into a directory
structure on FSes that do not support
streams. So "foo.txt:default" would become
"foo.txt/foo.txt". On a streams-capable
FS, it would simply restore the file with
streams intact, so "foo.txt" is what you
expect. And if you don't want streams
restored on non-streams FSes, then it simply
discards them.