Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 08:41:39 EST

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 10:31:43AM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0008120028320.11791-100000@duckman.distro.conectiva>,
> > Can't be done.
> >
> > "/bin/mv", yes. Makes complete sense to move a full file with all
> > "subforks". It's actually very similar to a directory move.
> >
> > But /bin/cp cannot do the same, at least not without teaching it to do
> > the same thing as for a recursive directory copy (which a regular UNIX
> > cp wouldn't even try to do on a regular file). But the recursive
> > directory copy approach should work.
> >
> > At least in theory.
>
> So what we want are directories, and not file streams?
> Oh wait, we already have those...
>
> /me runs

You bad. :) You real bad. :)

Still, it's always pissed me off whenever I tried to get sound files
(for eg) off a mac onto my amiga (back when my amiga actually worked
*sigh*). I always wound up getting the bits of the file that weren't
sound...

Annoying.

Had to run resedit on it. I believe you folks are talking about doing
something similar/the same.

--
CaT (cat@zip.com.au)

'He had position, but I was determined to score.' -- Worf, DS9, Season 5: 'Let He Who Is Without Sin...'