Re: Definitions

From: Michael W Zappe (zapman@interlan.net)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 11:01:43 EST

> linux-kernel is a competence-based community. if you want to
> participate, contribute. your post was insulting and demanding;
> that might have worked fine if you were a "member", that is,
> if you were a known contributor.
>
> maybe you still don't get the dynamic of linux. it's a
> meritocracy with a benign dictator who can be persuaded.
> this persuasion happens mostly on linux-kernel, and must
> contain substance, benchmarks, exploits, demonstrations of
> races. obnoxiousness is not persuasive. a bug-fix is a patch that fixes
> something Linus thinks is a bug. a freeze means that Linus will resist
> somewhat more stiffly additions of code that he doesn't think are strictly
> necessary. that's all there is to it.

Actually a meritocracy is an oligarchy ruled by those with 'merit',
a ruling body that consists of a dictator is a *DICTATORSHIP*.
Since when has a dictator ever been benign? I hear all this
libertarian garbage being spouted from the "linux community",
and then have people apparently celebrate the existance of a
dictatorship.

And I don't know if you noticed, but the trains aren't running
on time...

> > Speaking of social incompetence, don't you think that the
> > way you phrased your statement was a bit confrontational
> > also?
>
> obviously, it was meant to be. the only way, in a voluntary
> community like linux-kernel, to make it work is to deliver
> negative feedback to obnoxiousness.

Or perhaps positive feedback to the non-obnoxious... Whoa,
rather than policing those you don't like with a stick,
encouraging contribution. What a unique concept! So, Linux
rather than being an "open" society, is a new form of
domination and policing. Yeah. Sign me up. I want to
be a Linus crony so that i can beat up on the
unenlightened. Really, i do...

And in terms of negative feedback, the majority of my posts
go unheeded, and the questions unanswered, but I say a few
cusswords, and YES! Someone read my post! The negative
feedback is *obviously* working very well!

> > Was there any point to it other than inflaming the
> > tension allready existing in the discourse? Did you
> > expect me to not flame you after saying that? ;-)
>
> why the hell would I care if you attempt to flame me?
> noone gives a damn whether you're chief architect or not,
> and I've been in the flaming business a lot longer than you.

Well, since you want a flame: Oooh, you have big American
penis. I am scared. My penis is so tiny -- miniscule.

> > Michael "Less tact than Hans Reiser" Zappe
>
> indeed. why are you apparently proud of it? do you really believe
> that it gets you what you want?

Oh GOD no I don't think it gets me what I want! I was just
being honest. To tell you the truth, I don't want anything
except for open discussion, and for people to get off of
arguing stupid points, and really having open discussions.

This all started with me asking what the difference between
a feature and a bug fix is. Apparently it is an arbitrary
decision that "our benevolent leader" makes from what I've
seen.

As to people getting mad about me cc'ing their posts to
linux-kernel: Aren't we supposed to be having an *open*
discussion on the list? What's so stinking bad in the
posts, and why is it rude? Or should we commit everything
we do in the dark?

        Mike

Michael Zappe <zapman@interlan.net>

Chief Architect, Filesystems
Interlan Communications
111 Corning Drive
Cary, NC 27511

"The sorcerer is a Simple Realist: the world
is real--but then so must consciousness be real
since its effects are so tangible. The dullard
finds even wine tasteless but the sorcerer can be
intoxicated by the mere sight of water."

 --Hakim Bey