Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 03:11:34 EST

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 11:40:37PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:

> > It's IMPOSSIBLE as long as "root is god". And if root was retired from gods
> > via /proc/sys/kernel/cap-bound it's impossible at all and you do not need
> > this patch for that.
>
> So long as not having CAP_DESTROY_HARDWARE prevents this, and
> CAP_DESTROY_HARDWARE isn't available to anything by default, that's OK.

It's no good to have any capability other than CAP_SYS_RAWIO protect us
from direct talking to the drives via IOCTLs, because only after
switching this one off we can't do so by other means as well.

CAP_DESTROY_HARDWARE would be superfluous, you'd need to disable that,
*and* CAP_SYS_RAWIO as well to protect yourself from the damage.

Also, CAP_SYS_RAWIO is the exact capability meant for this type of
stuff.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs