Pass messages to a running user-mode application from kernel

From: Liu, Changwen (changwen.liu@intel.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 14:56:25 EST

I am a new bee to this group as well as to the Linux kernel. I am not very
knowledgeable to the linux kernel and am still learning it.

The thing I am trying to do now is to pass message to a user-mode
application from kernel when the application is up and running in the
following way: the kernel detects the application is up and sends message to
the application at certain times or certain events. It is a sort of
relationship like client (kernel) and server (the user-mode application).
Wonder what mechanism I can use to fulfill the message passing part (or
communication part). I tried kernel mode domain socket and it doesn't work.
Any suggestions out there? You can email me your
suggestions/answers/discussions directly or to this list. All of the replies
are appreciated.

changwen