Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson@norran.net)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 18:09:07 EST

Bill Huey wrote:

> > I don't know what a "specifically RT technique" is and I don't care
> > how its done -- if the kernel can promise to always respond to an interrupt
> > within some bound, then the kernel offers a hard realtime guarantee.
> > And, for what it's worth, my professional opinion is that this is incredibly
> > hard to do and never worth doing in a kernel that also wants to offer
> > high speed networking, files systems, and guis.
> > I'm sure Ingo will tell you that his patch is designed to make long
> > latencies _rare_ not impossible.

> > Victor Yodaiken
>
> Damn, I accidently fired off the mail without CC to the list. ;-)
>
> Then what's need is to introduce a new terms in the discussion,
> "soft realtime".

Soft real-time is also something all of you use every day.
Most telephone switches are soft real time.
They mostly react within 10 ms.

As an example see
  www.erlang.org
It is a functional interpreted language designed to program that
kind of systems. (It is also used in Ericssons ATM switches)

BTW - it is really slow if you try to do standard benchmarks,
but suddenly when you have a real system. Then it is ok - and you
can easily add more processors...

/RogerL

--
Home page: