Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Bill Huey (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 17:56:49 EST

> I don't know what a "specifically RT technique" is and I don't care
> how its done -- if the kernel can promise to always respond to an interrupt
> within some bound, then the kernel offers a hard realtime guarantee.
> And, for what it's worth, my professional opinion is that this is incredibly
> hard to do and never worth doing in a kernel that also wants to offer
> high speed networking, files systems, and guis.
> I'm sure Ingo will tell you that his patch is designed to make long
> latencies _rare_ not impossible.

> Victor Yodaiken

Damn, I accidently fired off the mail without CC to the list. ;-)

Then what's need is to introduce a new terms in the discussion,
"soft realtime".

That's something that IRIX did very well and I'm suprised that both
you and Larry haven't characterized the media/audio performance problem
as such, especially since you guys keep dumping on IRIX.

bill