Re: Low Latency Patch

From: Yoann Vandoorselaere (yoann@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 15:35:34 EST

Gregory Maxwell <greg@linuxpower.cx> writes:

> On 1 Jul 2000, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > <quote>
> > For example, let's say that something uses an O(n^3) algorithm, and
> > to "overcome" the expense of this thing we add scheduling points in it.
> > That's the easy way to do it. But maybe the right thing to do is to
> > realize that the code may be badly structured in the first place?
> > </quote>
> >
> > The low latency patch only add scheduling point all over the place.

[...]

> As I understand it, Linuses goal is to provided a useful and mailtainable
> system.

Yop, he don't want to accept hackish code when something clean can be done.

> He's has decided that he wants to make it useful for audio tasks
> and he's willing to impliment rechedule hacks where there is no
> alternative (i.e. no complexity reduction can be performed).

Right, but that isn't only audio task,
think to video (especially dvd) and i'm sure their is other.

--
		-- Yoann http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~yoann/
 It is well known that M$ product don't make a free() after a malloc(),