Re: Low Latency Patch

From: Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 23:10:39 EST

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> How can you be so arrogant to try to blackmail Linus into adopting your
> favourite toy patches by claiming the user base will run away if he
> doesn't?

     Pointing out that there is benefit to the larger community, not just those
that happen to have a critical need for low latency, is hardly, "trying to
blackmail Linus into adopting my favorite toy patches".

> If someone does run away, he is better served with Windows anyway.

     And you accuse me of being arrogant?

> Please get yourself an OS book and understand the concept of "preemption
> point". If you break up a critical region by inserting an insertion
> point, you create deadlocks.
>
> Felix

     I understand the concept of critical code regions. You make the
assumption that the chosen premption points are arbitrary. Have you looked at
the patch? Have you tried it?