Re: ac17-18 OS freeze

From: Christopher Zimmerman (zim@av.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:37:49 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Christopher Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > > Is it a clean messageless deadlock?
> > >
> > > Andre Hedrick
> > > The Linux ATA/IDE guy
> >
> > yup, and it's a lovely clean messageless deadlock.
>
> Been there, still there, and ripping off my t-shirt!
>
> When did you begin getting this deadlock?
> What is the IRQ state when it happens?
>
> Does catting the device to null multiple times in the backgound also cause
> the same response?
>
> Andre Hedrick
> The Linux ATA/IDE guy

This deadlock has been around since 2.4.0-test1. However, sine 2.4.0-test1
there has been a large improvement. I have to try much harder now to kill my
boxes. As for the IRQ state I'm not sure I've never checked. Since my test
machines are fairly stable I'm actually using them to do some massive data
processing. Once all my processes have completed I'll try the cat /dev/hda >
/dev/null & thing and monitor the IRQ state. Actually come to think of it
how do you find out the IRQ state for a particular device?

-zim

Christopher Zimmerman
AltaVista Company
Index Build Engineering