Re: /etc/modules.conf and USB

From: Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:27:40 EST

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000, Frank van Maarseveen <F.vanMaarseveen@inter.NL.net> wrote:
> Kernel 2.4.0-test1-ac15
>
> I don't seem to succeed in figuring out the correct
> module setup for USB. /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias char-major-180 printer
>
> Problem: the only way to get printing to work is
> to manually "modprobe uhci" _after_ module "printer" has been loaded.
>
> I hoped that by using a trick this could be done the other way around:
> by mounting usbdevfs at system start because this loads uhci.
> Modules.conf:
> alias usbdevfs uhci
> /etc/fstab:
> none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
>
> (I'm _not_ happy with this mount but http://linuxusbguide.sourceforge.net
> says it is highly recommended for debugging)
> However, with this setup "uhci" et.al. sees no printer driver and decides
> to disable printer support (or something). /var/log/messages:

[snip]

> module "printer" however, only depends on "usbcore" and not on "uhci" (but won't
> function without: ENODEV).

USB, like SCSI, has a dependancy on the core, not the particular host
controller driver. SCSI tries to modprobe "scsi_hostadapter", whereas we
don't do anything similar.

Some people have come up with a creative solution to the problem. I
don't quite remember what they have done. Check the linux-usb archives.

> Another thing: the command "modprobe -r printer"
> is very slow when no "uhci" has been loaded in which case /var/log/messages says:
> Jun 16 00:22:25 iapetus kernel: hub.c: giving up on killing khubd
> Jun 16 00:22:25 iapetus kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver hub

This is bad. For some reason the kernel thread could not be killed. Did
you get an oops after or around this?

> By the way, printing does work when the modules have been loaded by
> hand in the right order, great work!

That's good to know.

JE