RE: Rage Pro LT Meltdown with Mach 64 framebuffer driver

From: Dr. Kelsey Hudson (kernel@blackhole.compendium-tech.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 16:34:00 EST

> Mike, can you try this? If this works, it just means the boot mode is not
> supported. Hmm. 70Hz refresh. Good for Macs, bad for PCs.

What are you talking about? any _decent_ monitor can handle 70Hz...As a
matter of fact, VESA Super VGA Standard states that 'optimal resolution is
800x600 at 72Hz.'

> Geert, is there any possibility of changing line 39 of modedb.c from:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_PPC
> #define DEFAULT_MODEDB_INDEX 0
> #else
> #define DEFAULT_MODEDB_INDEX 1 /* 70Hz refresh not desired for PC
> monitors */
> #endif
>
> Many PC monitors do not do well out of the box at 70Hz.

Every single Super VGA monitor I've _ever_ owned has synced at 70Hz
fine... I've owned bad ones and good ones, and even some $75 brand new
ones. All will hit 70Hz at their max resolution.

Now, if you have one of the cheapo VGA monitors thats good for nothing but
640x480, then i can understand this...but if you have a machine worthy of
a better monitor, then why not go out and get one?

just a thought...

 Kelsey Hudson khudson@ctica.com
 Software Engineer
 Compendium Technologies, Inc (619) 725-0771