Wierd Masquerading problem?

From: Michael Cunningham (malice@exit109.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 01:03:01 EST

Folks,

I have 2 redhat 6.2 systems and a win98 box. One of the linux systems
connects up to the net through a 56k ppp connection. The other two
systems access the net by ip masquerading through the linux system
via ip masquerading. Everything works well on both systems via ip masq,
telnet, ssh, ftp..etc. but a couple wierd things are occuring.
Both linux systems are totally default installs.

Some websites dont seem to ip masquerading.. take for example
www.slashdot.org I can get a packet out to them but nothing ever returns.

If I open up a netscape session on the box doing the masquerading I can
access the site fine. But if I try to use one of the masq'd box's it
contacts the site.. but never returns anything. This happens for a limited
set of websites but enough to be annoying.

Another wierd thing is dns.. I am running a caching dns server on the
ip masq box. It can do lookups fine.. and things like netscape, telnet,
ssh, etc work fine on the masq'd boxs. But if I try to do a nslookup
it hangs immedialty and eventually fails.

I am not running any type of proxy or anything like junkbuster.. just
standard ip masq.

Any idea whats wrong? Suggestions?

Mike