Re: Code and Community (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 23:13:17 EST

Chip Salzenberg writes:
> According to Richard Gooch:
> > And if we're going to be true to our ideals here, all that matters
> > is the code, not who wrote it or their behaviour.
>
> I disagree mildly. My experience in the Perl community has taught me
> that tolerating or even celebrating buttheads who happen to be
> technically prolific is, in the end, very costly. It creates a
> skin-thickness requirement. Some who might have contributed leave
> rather than putting up with verbal abuse. A once-friendly community
> is be sacrificed on the altar of technical advancement... ironically,
> to the eventual detriment of both.

If you look at another thread (and other times the same topic pops
up), you'll note that I strongly advocate civilised behaviour on the
list.

But I think you've taken my quote out of context. Let me put it
another way, Hans is not the only person one the list who's behaviour
is objectionable, so I really don't think he should be singled out for
ostracism.

> Open source development is a cooperative venture. It is therefore
> dangerous to accept a person's contributions without also considering
> the eventual costs of rewarding him and keeping him hanging around.
>
> 'What does it benefit a [project] to gain [world domination],
> but lose [its own sense of community]?'
>
> Some free gifts are too expensive to accept.

Brother, I know where you're coming from.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca