Re: PCI DMA into USER space

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 15:36:53 EST

Richard let's make this a bit more concrete. I'm working on a driver
for the Matrox Meteor-II framegrabber, which includes a bunch of memory
onboard. 128 MB max IIRC. Making the capture data available to
userspace can be done using busmastering DMA to system memory, or
grabbing to the Meteor's memory. In the first case, the data is made
available to userspace via remap_page_range. In the latter case,
io_remap_page_range.

Are you saying that, on a normal PCI-based x86 workstation, grabbing to
the Meteor's onboard RAM, and allowing xawtv to access that memory
across the PCI bus, will be the faster case?

Regards,

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.