Re: Oops in 2.4.0test1-ac17

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 20:58:37 EST

On 15 Jun 2000, Juan J. Quintela wrote:

> I think that the problem is that nobody was checking the dirty
> bit before. When we truncate a file in the ramfs we need to clean the
> dirty bit. It appears that nobody has being checking the ramfs since
> the deferred swap patch.The following patch should solve the problem.

This doesn't have to do with the deferred swap. Without your
quick patch ramfs would be nothing but a memory leak.

Imagine deleting 30MB of files from ramfs and keeping the
dirty bit. If we would reuse that memory later for caching some
files from CDROM or disk, they would still have the dirty bit
set and shrink_mmap() would always skip them ...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/