Re: IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux Community

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 18:11:44 EST

Ben,

You may want to contact Jeff Magdahl in NY regarding what we are doing
to allow IBM to migrate NetWare volumes and NDS data to the S/390 to
support server consolidation of NetWare servers onto S/390 host systems,
and let us know if we should be using your LVM code. We are porting
intially to 3000-P30 S/390 systems all of our NetWare to Linux migration
tools to support large scale Migrations of NetWare servers onto IBM
based hosts that run Linux and VM, MVS, etc..

The LVM approach will be useful, but at present won't support NDS to
S/390 migration without some mechanism to grant access to the NDS data
sets (which we provide). It appears, however, that IBM's contracts with
Novell are loose enough to allow IBM to use the NDS for S/390 code base
it got fom Novell to create some custom tools to import NDS data sets
into VM and MVS (at present, NDS is only available on MVS for migration,
and it's not implemented to exploit this currently).

At any rate, we will look at the LVM stuff to see if it will help with
NetWare to Linux migrations on S/390. Thanks for helping Linux. Let us
know if there's anything we can do to assist IBM in migrating Novell's
installed base to Linux on S/390. We are happy to help those who help
Linux.

Very Truly Yours,

Jeff Merkey
CEO, TRG