PPP support

From: kurangan@hotmail.com
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 16:00:09 EST

Hi folks,

sorry to budge in with a seemingly trivial issue. I'm not in the list and would
appreciate a cc to me.

I've been trying to get ppp working with the 2.4.0-test1 kernel for the past 2
hours. It won't work. I tried both module loading and kernel inbuilt. I'm using
modutils 2.3.11 and pppd version 2.4.0b1. i get the following message in my
/var/log/message

-----------------
Jun 14 08:23:56 jupiter ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp2 on /dev/modem at 115200
Jun 14 08:23:56 jupiter pppd[1902]: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.
This could be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the kernel
is not configured for PPP. See the README.linux file in the ppp-2.3.7
distribution.
-----------------

kernel configs:
        set version info on module symbols is disabled.
        ppp support enabled (tried both M and Y)
        ppp support for async serial ports enabled ( tried both M and Y)

when i tried ppp as a module modprobe ppp succeeded with

        alias ppp ppp_generic

in the /etc/modules.conf, though insmod ppp returned failure.

but insmod works with other modules. eg: sound module.

Which document or common sense did I miss?

~kurangs