via-rhine 001a problem (pci problem?)

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 15:04:49 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> Was still testing, actually.. I hadn't seen the behaviour with a quick
> test of 2.2.16... but I didn't test it all too much.

Great, the 2.2.14 is good, 2.2.15 is bad, 2.2.16 is good(?).

Something you could do is to try and find which 2.2.15-pre version that is
bad and which 2.2.16-pre that is good again (using the same config for all
versions). This assumes that you can easily reproduce the problem,
otherwise it's probably a waste of time. And then try to find the
"smallest" diff that causes the problem.

This can be a bit time consuming (and boring :), but as far as I know the
driver is the same in 2.2.14, 15 & 16 so it might show what else changed
that caused the problem, if it's not hardware or traffic (random).

Details in Documentation/BUG-HUNTING ...

> AFAIK. It's the machine's sole PCI slot.

Could this piece from Donald Becker's pages be an explanation?

0010 Transmit FIFO underrun The PCI bus is slow or busy.
        (http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html)

On that page is also Donalds 1.05 driver that is supposed to keep quiet
about "Something Wicked happened".

I have no idea why your PCI bus would be too slow/busy in 2.2.15 and not
in 2.2.14, but maybe you are using a slightly different config or maybe
something pci related changed?

> > + and Alan's question: "Are the people with problems running VLAN's ?"
> What's vlans? I'm using IP masquerading with a local class C network.

Virtual LAN's, machines on different physical nets that appear to be on
the same subnet (and you'll have to look elsewhere for a better
definition).

Cisco has a page with lots of pictures showing how great their products
are at this:

I assume IP tunneling is one way this could be done in linux.

/Urban