Re: Adding System.map to the Install Notes

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 12:47:52 EST

These errors or warnings are distribution specific. None of the
distributions I use generate any warnings or errors about the System map file
on boot.

I do note that there are a couple of utilities which use the map file, one
being 'ps', another being ksymoops. 'ps' is fairly intelligent about looking
for the map file as well as ksymoops.

However, that said. The System.map file -is- placed with the kernel if you
make the 'install' target. I.e. "make install". But this isn't mentioned in
the README. Perhaps it's time that file was overhauled.

-d

Alexander Valys wrote:

> It seems like the majority of people who are recompiling their kernel
> are only using the README file to get their instructions. While it does
> tell them the correct process for compilation, the installation section
> does not have any information about System.map, which must be placed
> with the kernel to avoid having scores of error messages on boot up.
> I am not a programmer, nor an expert on the kernel, but it seems like it
> would be relatively simple to add a paragraph on System.map and
> eliminate one more difficulty that new users might encounter recompiling
> the kernel for the first time. Just a suggestion - I know that it 1 1/2
> years ago, when I first recompiled my kernel, it took me two weeks to
> find out how to get rid of the error messages.
>
> --A. Valys
>
> -

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
'committed'."