Fails to boot with screen-card missing

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 09:57:11 EST

I am using one of the "stable" versions, i.e., linux-2.2.15. In another
embedded system. This system does not have a screen-card, but it could.
In normally does not do I/O to the console. Unfortunately, It panics
if it finds the screen-card missing.

I have no I/O available except from a hardware debugger. There are
no UARTs or anything else available for debugging on the target.
The target is designed to run servos from flight dynamics so the
only use for user I/O would be for diagnostics. It has been running
for quite some time and passed all its bench-marks.

Today I removed the VGA card for the first time and found it
wouldn't boot :`;) .

>From the EIP I see it's waiting forever in panic(). That's all I can tell.

Does anybody know how to prevent the panic() if the screen-card is
missing?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.36 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.