Re: Stability (2.2.14/15/16/17pre1)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 20:18:20 EST

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> >the chance to clear the trashing_mem flag. Since the big hog is doing
> >much more allocation per second than the others processes, it will have
> >more chance to get the trashing_mem flag cleared, then allocate one
> >page, decrementing nr_free_pages making the other processes lose the
> >chance to clear the trashing_mem flag. This is quite unfair, IMO.
>
> The big hog is going to cause nr_free_pages to return under the min
> watermark before the other process will try to do the next allocation.

To me this means 3 things:

1) We're not kicking kswapd often enough, in the ideal case we'll
   NEVER stall our processes by freeing pages ourselves.
2) The small process is penalised by the big process, even if your
   presumption is not true (it shouldn't be if kswapd is woken up
   often enough), this is Not Right(tm) and should be fixed.
3) The p->trashing_mem stuff simply isn't doing its work and is
   hardly more than unneeded cruft.

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.