Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 11:15:42 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > I've heard a couple of horror stories about RFS chewing up data. Frankly,
> > > whether it loses data or not isn't relevant at this point. You will,
> >
> > Its very relevant that a file system never loses data - it should panic the
> > box rather than do that. That one doesnt worry me for a different reason -
> > I know Hans cares a great deal about his fs actually working right.
>
> Interesting; I remember not too long ago some reference to a problem (a
> race condition somewhere, IIRC), to which the reply was "I've run a
> benchmark and that worked OK". It wasn't Hans himself who said that, but
> the comment still reflected badly on the team.

Yes, one of the reiserfs team members replied out of context. I had asked
for some help in testing a different problem, and that was what he was
replying to. The whole thing was quickly cleared up (as quickly as
possible given list lag at the time). I fail to see how this relates to
how much we care about the quality of the product.

> Right now, there seems to be far too much effort going into "Force the
> code as it is into the kernel right now", and too little into "OK, it's
> not ready to go into 2.4.0, we need to do X, Y and Z."

Andi Kleen posted last week what x y and z were. We understand the tasks
at hand.

-chris